Request Unity example with protobuf + grpc

Hi, I played around with Unity + Nakama using JSON but I think it’s not very efficient to use JSON on the client side especially when you send a lot of packets (my client crash when syncing 3d positions too often).

That’s why I was wondering how to use Protobuf + Grpc with the client ? I have Grpc + Protobuf working etc with Unity but now I don’t know how to use it with Nakama …
It could be nice to have a minimalist example

Thank you :slight_smile:

Can you define not “very inefficient”? What kind of game are you building?

I understood now, Nakama Unity doesn’t support / implement gRPC / Protobuf, it’s unfortunate that you write everywhere about gRPC.

@louis030195 The server DOES support gRPC which is why we’ve mentioned it “everywhere”.

Based on which of the official client sdk you use that we’ve made open-source we use gRPC or the GRPC gateway which converts the JSON representation of the message to protobuf to be consumed by the server.

Have you ever tried to compile gRPC to work with Unity engine across multiple games platforms? If so we’d love advice and feedback on how best to maintain this development workflow.

think it’s not very efficient to use JSON on the client side especially when you send a lot of packets (my client crash when syncing 3d positions too often).

It’s not clear to me what you’ve described here. You refer to gRPC which we don’t use on our realtime socket connections and mixed it with JSON although we support both JSON and Protobuf messages (depending on which of our client libraries you want to use).

What do you mean that the client “crash” when you sync positions too frequently? Please share the code you use because there should be no code paths in our client sdks which cause the game client to crash.

Thank you for taking time to answer me,
Your server and client sdks are great, I just found out that Nakama isn’t aligned with my needs.

No problem. Best of luck. :+1: