Is rUDP scheme with Unity currently possible?

We’re currently looking at which networking platform to use to run our cross-platform realtime VR shooter game with.
Nakama in general looks very promising, coming with a lot of the features we need right out of the box.
The issue that I have now is that I can’t seem to get rUDP to work with the unity SDK and since I can’t find that much documentation of it I’m starting to wonder if it’s supported.

Since we need to sync multiple poses for each player as much as possible, basic UDP like behaviour for that in combination with reliable UDP calls for important calls seems perfect for our use case.
The way I understand it now, the default approach is to use https which is TCP, therefore blocking and not at all ideal. Of course I could be wrong in which case I would appreciate anyone’s input =).

So in short, is rUDP with the Unity SDK possible?
How do I implement it if it is?
Are there performant alternatives with nakama for my use case that I don’t know of?

Hi @JeffWTD welcome :wave:

Nakama in general looks very promising, coming with a lot of the features we need right out of the box.

Thanks for the kind words. We’re always interested to learn what new features would be useful to add for game teams so let me know if you’ve got suggestions.

So in short, is rUDP with the Unity SDK possible? How do I implement it if it is?

We haven’t made the rUDP support public. It’s an internal project at the moment which is in optimization development with some customers. We do plan to make it available but it requires special support when deployed to cloud providers so its more operationally complex as well.

How do you plan to implement the netcode in your Unity project?

Hi Novabyte, thank you for your reply!
Aha alright that makes sense, explains why I couldn’t find anything in the documentation.
We’re looking for a proven solution for our project so not really comfortable with going for something that is still in the works.
Really looking forward to seeing it hopefully released in the future though!