Does userID included in a matchstate message?

Hi,
I have a simple question about the overhead of Nakama’s message. When a user sends a match state message, does it include the userID? And when a match broadcasts a match message with a non-empty sender?

In the case of Darkrift, their ClientID only takes 2bytes. But Nakama uses 32bytes UserID. So I am just curious about Nakama’s overhead.

Thank you

Hello @mautoan11, is there a specific network bandwidth concern regarding the messages?

The UUID length is usually neglegible, we’ve used this pattern at scale in production for a number of Heroic Cloud customers without issue, the important thing is to keep the data payload of the messages as slim as possible.

1 Like

Also worth noting that if you use Nakama’s authoritative multiplayer feature you can omit the message sender user ID entirely, or use your own shorter one - even a single bit if you’re building a 2-player game.

Ultimately the default message structure you probably see when using Nakama’s relayed multiplayer is intended to work across many thousands of matches and a large cluster of nodes, uniquely identifying users and matches in a massive concurrent usage scenario. This is something DarkRift and similar solutions aren’t suited to, they’re optimised for dedicated headless server instance use cases.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your replies!
By the way, could you provide the full overhead of a matchstate message?
Sorry, I want to check it because currently, my payload has only 12bytes. I want to measure the overhead.