Changes to the server API docs for Nakama 3.8.0

I decided to check out what’s new in Nakama 3.8.0. I see that the change log mentions this:

Match handlers are now required to implement a signal handler function.

So, in to the docs to see what it’s about, as our server Go module now fails to compile due to a missing signal handler. But try as I might I can not find anything about the signal handlers in the docs. Actually, the docs don’t seem to mention match making with a single word, or am I just blind? I had expected there to be some docs for what it is and what I’m supposed to do. I can of course just blindly copy a

MatchSignal(ctx context.Context, logger Logger, db *sql.DB, nk NakamaModule, dispatcher MatchDispatcher, tick int64, state interface{}, data string) (interface{}, string)

into our custom Match struct and return something random, but coding by random is not too much fun.
In general the server side docs seem to cover getting a module compiled, but that’s more or less it. The function reference is also mostly of little use in practice and is somewhat obsolete too. Have you thought about doing something Doxygen like to get automatically updated API docs?

Hi @chakie,

An update will be pushed to our documentation shortly that covers the new MatchSignal functionality.

We’re continuously striving to improve the quality of our documentation and the function reference is something we’re discussing internally for improvement. We are currently looking at numerous options, which includes automatically generated docs.

I’ve updated my project to Nakama 3.8. I’ve implemented my matchSignal as dummy function that returns nothing since there’re no docs at the moment. This approach doesn’t break anything.

I did the same, but didn’t yet push the change live on our development server. At least it compiles and I can work on other non match related things.

As a rule of thumb I would say that if you recommend that people upgrade, but the upgrade breaks the build, then you should at least mention a safe placeholder or workaround in the change log.