Stateless Nakama servers - horizontal scaling?

Is it possible to make a Nakama server stateless so users can be tracked across multiple Nakama servers for horizontal scaling?

Or is Nakama only vertical scaling oriented?

Hi @logixworx welcome :wave:

Is it possible to make a Nakama server stateless so users can be tracked across multiple Nakama servers for horizontal scaling?

Nakama is stateless for all database driven operations which are part of the official server APIs. The realtime features are not stateless because they require socket connections to be maintained by the server and so cannot be stateless.

To provide horizontal scale out of the game server for the realtime features we’ve developed our Enterprise version aimed at game studios, publishers, and game teams. This version of the game server is available on our Heroic Cloud:

Hope this helps.

Hey, first I wanted to thank you for the amazing work.
My question is related, so I didn’t want to start a new thread.

You explained that horizontal scaling is available in the Herioc Cloud, but when I want to create a project, I can only select a single zone in Asia, US or Europe.

Do you mean I will be able to have a cluster of servers deployed in different locations where you will do load balancing between them to provide low latency in the server? I can’t see load balancers, multiple AZ and things like that. Maybe they appear after I create the project?

@aminalaee Questions about the Heroic Cloud are best answered over our contact email address, drop us a message and we’ll help out. :+1:

Until then the short answer is load balancing, multi-AZ deployment, and similar scale-out topics are handled internally by the Heroic Cloud. You won’t need to worry about configuring or maintaining any of that.

1 Like