Lua script reporting error on concat operation... after the operation has succeeded

Hello again! While tracking down a bug in my Lua code, I found some rather strange and unexpected behavior. I have a function that concatenates 3 variables (each containing a one character string) into a single variable, then returns the value of that variable, which should be a 3 character string. (An example return value from this function might be “AR2”.) When the above function is called, the return value is caught/assigned to a new variable (eg, “temp”).

Here’s the strange and unexpected part: when I add in the code:

nk.logger_info( "This Function: Returned value: " … temp )

The script throws an error:

nakama_1 | {“level”:“warn”,“ts”:“2021-12-08T04:03:31.812Z”,“caller”:“server/match_handler.go:292”,“msg”:“Stopping match after error from match_loop execution”,“mid”:“18b36846-792a-496c-a22c-30cd0cc6a129”,“tick”:60,“error”:“data/modules/myMatchStuff.lua:1037: cannot perform concat operation between string and nil\nstack traceback:\n\tdata/modules/myMatchStuff.lua:1037: in function ‘doing_specific_stuff’\n\tdata/modules/myMatchStuff.lua:1151: in function ‘this_function’\n\tdata/modules/myMatchStuff.lua:1377: in function ‘doing_stuff’\n\tdata/modules/myMatchStuff.lua:1784: in function ‘players_update’\n\tdata/modules/myMatchStuffAPI.lua:53: in main chunk\n\t[G]: ?”}

However, immediately before this error in the log is the line

nakama_1 | {“level”:“info”,“ts”:“2021-12-08T04:03:31.811Z”,“caller”:“server/runtime_lua_nakama.go:1782”,“msg”:“This Function: Returned value: AR3”,“mid”:“18b36846-792a-496c-a22c-30cd0cc6a129”,“runtime”:“lua”}

I understand that concat fails (and throws an error) when working with non-strings (like nil); however, the concat clearly succeeded – otherwise, the info log line couldn’t have appeared in the log. Under what circumstances would a concat throw a “nil” error after successful operation?

Thank you very much for whatever assistance you can provide!

1. Versions: Nakama {3.9}, {Linux Docker}
  2. Server Framework Runtime language (If relevant) {Lua}

Sorry – my stupidity. The error was within a loop that I forgot to properly terminate.