How can I scale Nakama open source?

I don’t know too much about scalability and stuff, however, I have a multiplayer game which I am making which has gained a bit of a following, I’ve heard from some places online that the free version isn’t quite scalable, and after seeing the pricing on the website, I realized I can’t pay that either at the moment, atleast until I have a good enough income. the main reason I want multiple servers, is that this is basically like a multiplayer shooter game with multiple game modes, maps, etc

Is it possible to do scalability with the free servers and if so where should I start to understand how.

I’m no expert but I think the general way you can scale up is implementing Load Balancers and generating new instances of the server

1 Like

@Supaflowin You can find benchmarks in the documentation which cover how Nakama behaves per unit of hardware (1 and 2 CPUs) and you can expect scaling vertically to be relatively linear.

Nakama scales extremely well with CPU count, so you can achieve significant scale on even a single node by giving it additional hardware.

the main reason I want multiple servers, is that this is basically like a multiplayer shooter game with multiple game modes, maps

Multiple Nakama nodes are not the recommended pattern to handle this use case. Instead you should look at server-authoritative multiplayer matches and consider how different match handlers can be written and coexist on a single node. These match handlers can easily be written to power different game modes and maps and this pattern has been used successfully across a large number of projects.

2 Likes